Welcome to our Mentoring Zone
This zone has been created to provide resources and links to important information about mentoring, and how it links with supervision.
Supervision can support the mentors role, and make the introduction of mentoring into any organisation more successful. Without supervision, where would a mentor take and resolve the tricky issues mentoring can bring up? Supervision provides a safe and confidential space for mentors to discuss ethical and other organisational dilemmas than can occur during and from mentoring discussions.
David Clutterbuck says that the mentor can help the mentee develop their own wisdom, emphasising “helping the mentee with the quality of their thinking about issues important to them”. David also comments on the emergence of ethical mentoring, the rise of the professional mentor, and the value of maternity mentoring to help mums make the transition back to work. See David's article below.
Meanwhile, a quote: “When the student is ready the teacher will appear”
AOCS have a number of advisers and experts in this field who can guide you, including:
- Emily Cosgrove - The Conversation Space
- Sara Hope - The Conversation Space
- Lis Merrick - internationally-renowned mentor expert & EMCC UK President
- Mike-the-Mentor (aka Mike Monro Turner) of Jericho Partners
- Julie Hay - internationally-renowned author and expert in TA
- David Clutterbuck - the guru of Mentoring! (to whom we are all indebted)
- Antionette Oglethorpe
- Katharine St.John-Brooks
Some related resources are here:
- Understanding modern mentoring by David Clutterbuck
- Is your mentoring programme 'modern'? article from TD magazine
- Shift your focus with modern mentoring article from TD magazine
- Why mentors need supervision - an article by David Clutterbuck
- Corporate mentoring to maximize the value of short term employees article from Insala
- Mentoring Overview and Mentoring 'in a nutshell' - resources from People Alchemy
- Getting and Maintaining Senior Sponsorship for Coaching and Mentoring Investment an extract from Ed Parsloe's 2017 book that helps to get the buy-in and visible support of senior leaders in an organisation
- Hot topics and research from the EMCC
- Making blind spots visible through mentor coaching: http://wp.me/p5TVsQ-zH by Clare Norman. Visit Clare's website for more info: http://www.clarenormancoachingassociates.com/
- Electric Mentoring to establish effective relationships, by The OCM: http://www.theocm.co.uk/what-we-offer/electric-mentoring-%E2%80%93-establishing-effective-mentoring-relationships
The STAMINa Mentoring Network Workshop on developing Sustainable Mentoring schemes on Thursday 27th April at the Headington Campus of Oxford Brookes University in G523. From 9.30 to 15.30. This workshop is free.
The workshop is free to anyone interested in launching, revising, refreshing and sustaining a mentoring scheme.
The STAMINa Mentoring Network is a network of mentoring scheme coordinators keen to share their knowledge and expertise on mentoring scheme management. We formed through a collaboration between Oxford Brookes University, Oxford University and Reading University and now includes a variety of other not-for-profit, educational, charity and business organisations.
We have a supporting website STAMINa Mentoring Network where we offer insights into mentoring through case studies, mentoring scheme resources and recommended reading. Enquiries to: email@example.com
- Lis Merrick - Stimulate your Mentoring programme: https://www.linkedin.com/hp/update/6250587685786783744 Ensure your #mentoring programme is healthy and productive by ensuring you provide support and #supervision to your #mentors
- Mentoring case study via The Conversation Space: The Body Shop
- Suffolk Mentoring Partnership case study in mentoring and coaching
Blogs about mentoring:
- Here are some links to blog posts on The Conversation Space site:
- http://theinternalmentor.com/action-learning-sharing-our-ignorance-vulnerability/ - http://theconversationspace.com/whats-storytelling-got-to-do-with-mentoring/
- Mentoring for Change Newsletter #53
- Mentoring for Change Newsletter #54
- Mentoring tele-forum recording - run by AOCS in 2013 (52 minutes)
Best Practice in Mentoring series:
- Key distinctions in coach mentoring and supervision
- Developmental versus sponsorship mentoring
- ICF position regarding Supervision
- Mentoring Coaching - a commentary on similarities
The Career Conversation Toolkit - Enabling Mentors to Have Quality Career Conversations - from Antionette Oglethorpe. Click to view slides.
Find out more at: www.antoinetteoglethorpe.com/career-conversation-toolkit and listen to her podcast series here: http://goo.gl/gwDyJS
Get in touch: www.antoinetteoglethorpe.com
- The Key Importance of Culture in Organisational Change (article from Kogan Page)
- Third Sector Coaching & Mentoring Forum launched
In October 2016, the Third Sector Coaching & Mentoring Forum was launched, hosted by Save the Children. Forty national and international charities had already asked to join the Forum, about how they use coaching and mentoring.
If you know of any charities that might be interested in joining the Forum, do ask them to get in touch with me, Katharine St John-Brooks, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Membership is free.
Katharine’s profile is here: http://associationofcoachingsupervisors.com/find-a-supervisor-public/view/katharine-st-john-brooks